Preparing for Ministry at The United Theological College
At The United Theological College of the United Church of Canada, a diverse community of students prepares for varied ministries in our denomination and beyond. Through our Master of Divinity program, part-time and full-time students prepare for ordained ministry. Our lay and continuing education programs help lay people and clergy enhance their ministry and leadership skills, gain theological or biblical knowledge, deepen their faith, and renew their faith.
UTC students integrate skills, theology, life experience, and personal faith, leading to compassion, service, and transformational leadership in a changing world.
Our program emphasizes:
- learning that connects with your own experience and goals
- strong academic preparation, using the resources of world-class scholars, especially those at McGill University
- a diverse, inclusive, bilingual welcoming community
- individual mentoring
- excellent financial support for both fulltime and part-time students (typically covers all academic fees and books)
- flexible options for part-time students and commuters
- connections to the local and global context
- training for ministry within existing and emerging expressions of church
- – intentional rethinking new ways of ministering in secular context of quebec
- – bilingual, intercultural
A place for you
- For students preparing for ministry in The United Church of Canada, UTC offers a program of theological education that integrates academic study with pastoral and professional formation.
- Si vous êtes francophone, nous pouvons vous offrir de la formation en français. (Link to French description of MDiv)
- If you are an ordained or diaconal minister in another Christian tradition and you seeking Admission to the Order of Ministry United Church of Canada you can complete all the United Church Admission Courses in on-line distance education formats, geared to your own particular needs.
- Lay people learn and grow in Christian faith, life, ministry, and leadership.
- Professional ministers have many opportunities for continuing education and personal development
- If you are a part of another denomination or faith tradition, you will find that UTC is open to different perspectives and beliefs and would be happy to welcome you as a student
- Students from the Unitarian Universalist tradition can complete their MDiv. program requirements at UTC
Find out more
We invite you to browse the tabs to the left to find out more about programs, community life, and formation for ministry. Please contact us for more information or to arrange a visit our newly renovated campus situated at McGill University in downtown Montreal.